Sunday 20 April 2014

Variable Power Outlet and AC to DC converter

Variable A/C power outlet

I came up with this project mainly to control the performance of some appliances that I use on a daily basis that do not offer output control. For example, I can control the temperature of my 60W soldering iron or a dim a desk lamp that is connected to the unit. It does so by adjusting the output voltage using a simple triac circuit.



A few specifications

  • Rated for 650W (230V) based on the minimum current rating of the components that I used
  • Included 2A MCB as an added safety
  • Built in Voltmeter to indicate current output voltage
  • Able to toggle between direct power connection and variable power connection
Circuit
The circuit can be downloaded here.



AC to DC Converter

While I was at it I wanted to make a small 5V power source to power my small projects and assignments. First I came up with this simple design.



But it could be better. So I salvaged a bigger transformer and came up with a multiple DC voltage power source. It does so by tapping the transformer at different points and passing the signal through a common rectifier bridge circuit. By switch on bottom right switch an additional Linear Regulator circuit is connected in series. Using the adjacent knob any fine tuning can be done.


A few specifications

  • Switches to 8 fixed DC voltages between 5V and 32V with fine tuning.
  • Always on LED voltage indicator
  • All metal fixtures are earthed.
  • Power on indicator

No comments:

Post a Comment